Date posted: March 17, 2020
The Denton Record-Chronicle in Denton, Texas, is seeking an aggressive, entrepreneurial, innovative leader to bring its strategy to life as the newsroom’s dayside editor. The ideal candidate:
- Is able to manage the daily news report of the DRC newsroom so that the company moves from a print-first mentality to an audience-first philosophy, publishing enough relevant content each day online to fill a substantial print edition as well.
- Is able to carry out the audience-first approach and coach reporters and photographers to deliver consistent, relevant content. The dayside editor is responsible for ensuring that the DRC leads all competitors in local news coverage.
- Will coach reporters to translate “government speak” into common language and help them turn policy decisions into meaningful stories that shine a light on the impact of public institutions on everyday life in Denton and the cities and towns of Denton County.
- Will work closely with the digital editor to ensure that the DRC’s digital products (app, replica edition and website) are well-populated and frequently updated with relevant content so that readers will see obvious value in return for their subscriptions.
- Will work closely with the digital editor to use metrics to analyze story selection and reach as well as to benefit the overall evolution of coverage decisions and beat development.
- Will work closely with the nightside editor to ensure that the print editions and replica editions are populated with relevant content so that readers will see obvious value in return for their subscriptions.
- Will set the tone and reach of our watchdog efforts, prioritizing public records requests and familiarity with the Texas Public Information Act that generate not only relevant, exclusive investigative packages but also deliver illuminative data we can put in readers’ hands in layered online complements.
- Will help all staffers set meaningful digital goals and measure performance against them, ultimately defining overall success based on the newsroom’s performance in total.
- Maintains a strong presence in social media channels, using them as a content distribution tool, an audience-engagement opportunity and as an avenue for generating story leads and cultivating sources.
- Displays a willingness to experiment in reaching new audiences — such as creating and curating newsletters, taking part in reader forums and hosting Reddit AMAs — and leading newsroom staffers to take part in those efforts.
- Seeks to build a skill set that helps the company build a business based on digital subscribers while upholding the quality of its legacy printed product.
The Denton Record-Chronicle is locally owned and is committed to providing the highest quality of community journalism while being an innovator in how news is delivered, through both print and digital channels. The company publishes daily news in print and online at dentonrc.com, as well as the monthly Denton Business Chronicle and the bimonthly Denton County magazine.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resume and published clips to Executive Editor Sean McCrory at email@example.com.