Date posted: Jan. 13, 2020
The Denton Record-Chronicle is seeking an aggressive, entrepreneurial, digitally savvy reporter to cover law enforcement in the city of Denton, Texas, and Denton County. The ideal candidate:
- Has an appetite for — and the ability to create — quick-turn daily stories that engage local readers as well as investigative pieces that hold officials accountable to the public.
- Knows how to read public records, including court records and police blotters, to develop story ideas, both for daily coverage and broader trend pieces.
- Writes articles with authority and with a distinct voice, appropriately matching the tone of each piece to the content and audience desired, and creates well-crafted headlines designed to reach the broadest audience possible through digital channels.
- Is adept at building sources in law-enforcement and legal circles, as well as in the community as a whole.
- Maintains a strong presence in social media channels, using them both as a content distribution tool and as an avenue for generating story leads and cultivating sources.
- Has a willingness to look for ways to reach new audiences, such as creating and curating newsletters, taking part in reader forums and hosting Reddit AMAs.
- Understands how to use metrics to analyze story selection and performance as well as to benefit the overall evolution of the beat.
- Seeks to build a skill set that helps the company build a business based on digital subscribers while upholding the quality of its legacy printed product.
The Denton Record-Chronicle is locally owned and is committed to providing the highest quality of community journalism while being an innovator in how news is delivered, through both print and digital channels. The company publishes daily news in print and online at dentonrc.com, as well as the monthly Denton Business Chronicle and the bimonthly Denton County magazine.
To apply, email a resume, cover letter and published clips to Executive Editor Sean McCrory at email@example.com.